This is one of those dishes that is heavenly yet unmistakeably unhealthy. When we eat at home, we try to be on the healthier side, but sometimes you’ve just gotta scratch the itch. We did, and while we enjoyed EVERY. SINGLE. BITE…. we must resist the temptation to cook this more often. The butter, cheese, and egg are just a match made in heaven, and could easily turn cheat meal into a routine meal. You’ve been warned. 😉
Prep Time: 2 min
Cook Time: 5 min
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 large eggs
- salt + pepper
- Heat a medium sized pan (8-10 inch diameter) on low. Melt 1 tbsp butter on the pan.
- Add a layer of cheese around the pan, leaving an empty space in the center of the pan.
- Crack the eggs into the empty center. Raise the heat to med-low. Once the egg white is about 2/3 cooked through, cover the pan with foil.
- Once the top of the egg and cheese are melted, use a spatula to check the skirt. It is done when the skirt is browned, has crisp edges, and can easily lift off the pan without breaking.
- Remove from heat. Add salt + pepper.
- Serve with bacon and a slice of toast. Enjoy!
- This dish is very easy to make as long as you pay attention to the heat of your pan. You want to cook it slow, low, and steady so that the eggs will cook without burning the cheese skirt.