It’s a salmon! It’s a steak! It’s….. a terrible pun!! (sorry Superman fans)
Cooking a full-on meal where we use all of the pots and pans we have is fun, but difficult to do after a long day of “wfh-ing.” As a result, we’ve found ourselves defaulting to quick-and-easy meals (steak, toasts, BBQ chicken, etc.) or just ordering out. We’ve made it a goal to cook dinner every day of the week, but sometimes, the motivation just isn’t there.
Enter the salmon steak: just like a beef steak, salmon steak doesn’t require a lot of ingredients (though you can dress it up if you’d like), cooks fast, and goes with almost any side dish. We grilled it on the pan with lemon, butter, and garlic and it was fire!
It’s been a while since we’ve cooked fish, but after seeing a couple salmon steaks on sale at HMart ($10 for almost 2 lbs!), we knew just had to try it again. Just grill, season, and squeeze some lemon, and it’s good to go! We like eating it with a simple bowl of white rice and some crispy veggies like spinach or arugula. We’re definitely adding this dish to our weeknight rotation!
Prep Time: 2 min
Cook Time: 6 min
- 1 salmon steak
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 lemon
- salt & pepper
- 3-6 pieces chives
Special Equipment You Need:
- cast iron pan (optional, for best results.) Check it out on Amazon
- Heat a cast iron or a nonstick pan on medium-high.
- Slice the garlic into thin pieces.
- Add butter and garlic to the pan. Cook for 1 min or until garlic is browned and fragrant.
- Salt and pepper both sides of the salmon steak.
- Add the salmon steak to the pan. Let it cook for 5 min, allowing the bottom to become golden, then flip.
- Cook another 5 min or until internal temperature reaches 145 deg F. (Pro tip: A good way to check if it’s done is if you gently press the top with your spatula — the salmon should be firm but have a little bounce.) When done, promptly remove the salmon from the hot pan.
- Top with chopped chives and serve with a slice of lemon.